Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | Home RSS
 
 
 

Fire sends woman to hospital

October 10, 2013
Jenn Brookens - Staff Writer , Fairmont Sentinel

FAIRMONT - A fire believed to have been caused by an electric blanket occurred early Wednesday morning at a duplex at 1305 Budd St. in Fairmont.

According to Fairmont Fire Chief Doug Borchardt, the fire was sparked by a faulty electric blanket in the downstairs apartment.

Firefighters received the call shortly after 5:30 a.m. Wednesday.

Article Photos

CHARRED?— There was extensive damage to the east end of the duplex at 1305 Budd St. in Fairmont caused by a fire Wednesday morning.

"I was the first one on the scene," Borchardt said. "When I got there, there were flames from the ground to the peak. The bedroom area where it started had already flashed out."

The apartment resident - identified as Donna Albert, 86 - was taken to the hospital for burns and smoke inhalation.

A resident in the upstairs apartment was able to escape without injury.

Albert was later transferred to Hennepin County Medical Center, where she was listed in serious condition Wednesday afternoon.

Damage to the building is estimated at $70,000.

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web