Music is only part of the show at many concerts these days. Unfortunately, death sometimes is on stage too.
Over the weekend, people in West Warwick, R.I., observed a grim anniversary. It was 10 years ago that 100 people perished in a nightclub fire there, when pyrotechnics used by the band caught the building on fire.
Earlier this year, 235 people died in a Brazilian nightclub when a band's fireworks show turned into a disaster.
The list of such tragedies is longer than you may think: Among the worst were 174 deaths in Argentina in 2004, 61 in Thailand in 2008 and 112 in Russia in 2009. Indoor fireworks mishaps occur regularly throughout the world.
Do state lawmakers need to beef up fireworks regulations to include an absolute ban on use of any type of pyrotechnics inside public places? This could be inevitable.
It seems to us there is a more simple, straightforward solution:?Bands, promoters, venues and fans should insist that flames and explosions do not have to be part of indoor entertainment. Bands should refuse to perform if they are. Venues should refuse to host such events. Fans should refuse to show up. Promoters should protect their industry and recognize that these disasters threaten it.
Eliminating the pyrotechnics is a small price to pay to save concert-goers from injury and death.