ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Former state House Minority Leader Marty Seifert put another campaign for Minnesota governor in motion Thursday, billing himself as a businessman who says he knows how to make government more accountable and responsive.
The 41-year-old declared his candidacy Thursday during a three-stop tour that started in his hometown of Marshall. The former Republican legislator has been out of elective office for almost three years since falling short of his party's nod for governor in in 2010. He joins a handful of GOP candidates vying to take on Democratic Gov. Mark Dayton next year.
After spending 14 years in the state House, Seifert transitioned to real estate and managed a private foundation in Marshall. He said his campaign will center around five themes, from taxes to transportation.
Seifert had been considering a campaign for months and finished second as a write-in during a recent straw poll at a state GOP meeting. Of the main contenders for the nomination, Seifert is the only one who lives far from the Twin Cities.
The other candidates on the GOP side are: Businessman Scott Honour, Hennepin County Commissioner Jeff Johnson, state Sen. Dave Thompson, state Rep. Kurt Zellers and special education teacher Rob Farnsworth.
Republicans will meet at their state convention in May to consider endorsing a candidate. But that person will almost certainly face an August primary challenge.
Dayton is aiming for a second term and has no announced challengers from within his party.