| || |
June 16, 2013 - Jennifer Brookens
Fathers Day is bittersweet to me after both my husband and I lost our fathers a few years ago. We still miss them, but that pain seems to lessen as the years go by.
For Fathers Day this year, my husband finally got the new grill he was wanting. Towards the end of the day, my daughter and son were helping my husband assemble his new grill, and they were actually helping, not just getting in the way. That growing up thing that everyone told me would happen is happening. I love it, yet it kind of tugs at the heartstrings at the same time...
I came across this list (courtesy of Dorkdaddy.com) and it reminded me not only of the things my father told me growing up, but the things I want my daughter (and son) to learn and live, as well...
Twenty Things A Father Should Tell His Daughter...
1) Pay attention to the way a man loves his mother. That is the way he will love you.
2) You can do anything a man can do, including organic chemistry, unclogging toilets and assembling IKEA furniture.
3) Older women wear makeup so THEY can look like YOU. Less is more. A lot less is a lot more.
4) People will judge you by the way you look. It isn’t fair, but it’s the way the world works. Keep that in mind as you pick your outfit in the morning.
5) Never let anyone do your thinking for you. There are far too many people with far too much invested in you believing what they want you to believe.
6) Liberal arts grow your mind. Science and business keep you fed. You will need both.
7) Nothing is more attractive than intelligence.
8) Learn to drive a stick-shift.
9) Get comfortable with power tools.
10) You don’t have to enjoy them, but have a working knowledge of the rules for football and baseball.
11) Know the difference between Star Wars and Star Trek, and they key players in both.
12) You don’t have to *DO* anything for someone to love you. The right person will cross a desert just for the chance to sit next to you at lunch.
13) Peer pressure is all about insecurity. Be confident in who you are and you’ll never have to “fit in”. People will come to you.
14) The fastest way to strain a relationship with a man is to bring up old drama. If he can’t remember to hang up the bath towel, what makes you think he'll remember that stupid thing he did six months ago?
15) If a man genuinely loves you, he will let you set the boundaries. Don’t let anyone take something from you they can’t give back. You set the tone for the sexual relationship.
16) Feminie hygiene products — Where daughters are concerned, Dad would be very happy sticking his fingers in his ears and saying “lalalalalalalala”. Please respect the need to pretend they, and the reason for them, do not exist. The same goes for lacy underthings.
17) You were flawless the day you were born. If you must go get that first tattoo, please consider inviting your daddy to come and get his first tattoo with you.
18) You are perfect the way you are when you roll out of bed. Let’s be clear: all that stuff you do to “get out the door” is for everyone else’s benefit.
19) Though he may be smiling on the outside, when you leave for college your father is falling apart on the inside. Don’t forget to call him that first night to tell him you made it, and that you love him.
20) Compare every single boy you ever meet to your daddy, because nobody will love you like he does.
No comments posted for this article.
Post a Comment
News, Blogs & Events Web